Monday, May 2, 2011

The death of Osama bin Laden

My husband told me last night, "They killed bin Laden. I just got a text message about it." Today, I have read Facebook messages filled with national pride and general good cheer. Personally, I feel a little sick.

I agree that Osama bin Laden has perpetrated and been responsible for much evil in the world. I understand that it is unwise and irresponsible to allow him to continue leading al-Qaida. I hope that the world is a safer place today than it was yesterday. Ultimately, I leave his soul in the hands of God for reckoning.

But I cannot celebrate this. How do you celebrate that the world has come to such a state that the only way to improve society is to kill? How do you celebrate the death of a human being? Is it better for one to die than for the people to perish? Yes, objectively, but I would not wish on anyone the horror of making the decision to kill.

I understand feelings of relief. I understand that people who lost loved ones to acts of terror and war might find closure in this. I do not condemn or judge those who celebrate, but I cannot sympathize.

"God bless us, every one."

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this. This is exactly how I feel and I was starting to wonder if I was the only one. Do you mind if I link to this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Thank you for posting this!! - Laura (Lenox) Dietz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyndi MoolekampMay 3, 2011 at 8:52 PM

    I totally agree with you (surprise, surprise :).

    Thanks for writing this. I actually think many people probably agree with you, but might not be letting on, as they might be afraid or unsure of how it may come across (myself included). Your ability to write well and obvious care for ALL of humanity helps in this regard I think.... Cyndi

    ReplyDelete