Wednesday, March 9, 2011

You are dust

A man who has known me since childhood told me today that I am dust. He said the same thing to my son. It was great.
Peter and I went to Mass today for Ash Wednesday and, while being crossed with ashes on our foreheads, heard, "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return" (Genesis 3:19). This is a powerful statement about how temporary our earthly bodies are, especially in contrast to our eternal souls. I think this message is rarely spoken in our society and needs to be considered more often. The world does not revolve around me. I am only a tiny part of creation and the Body of Christ. An important part, as is every part, but small. It is too easy to believe that things will fall apart if I am not there to make everything go smoothly. I need to remember that I am dust. God is in control. The best things I can do in any situation is to pray. Remembering that will be my goal this Lenten season.

No comments:

Post a Comment