Monday, March 21, 2011

Vegetable Garden: Planning

I have been reading recently about vegetable gardens. We have plenty of space and a decent amount of sunshine, so our yard is prime garden material. Today my husband and I started planning what vegetables we would like to plant, once the ground completely thaws (snow is predicted for the next four days). The problem is, we've done this a few times. Planning, that is, not gardening. I am hoping that the combination of more free time and wanting to be a role model for Peter will be enough motivation for us this year to actually DO what we plan. At any rate, initial plans include digging up the garden that came with the house (a sizable plot of ground-cover) and planting some easy vegetables. Our list so far includes tomatoes, green beans, squash, carrots, and potatoes. Perhaps this public announcement of our plans will be a further encouragement to me to take one more step towards healthy eating and care for our planet!

2 comments:

  1. That is so exciting!

    I am totally not a gardener, but I do plan to make an attempt this year...I've been reading about straw bale gardens which sounds like something I could do, so crossing my fingers...

    Good luck with your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm committed to at least cherry tomatoes, as they are delicious. :-) I will have to figure out a way to deter our local deer, though!

    ReplyDelete