Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Feeling fleshy

I got up with Peter around 7:00 this morning and convinced myself to go to 8:15 Mass. I realize this shouldn't have to happen. I love Mass. I like bringing Peter along with me. I am at peace there and am always strengthened by the Eucharist. There is nothing remotely unpleasant about the experience in any way and so many benefits! But I have such a hard time convincing myself to get into the car and go. I somehow feel like I am making a huge time commitment (we were home by 9:00) and that, if I go, I will be unable to accomplish some important task later in the day. This is absurd. If I stayed home, I would probably have skimmed Facebook and played on the floor with Peter. The latter is important, but certainly not more so than bringing him to the house of God (Ps 122:1). An hour of my day is a small thing to give to God when He uses it to give so much back to me. These are all reasonable points and attending daily Mass should be a foregone conclusion. Indeed, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak (Mt 26:41).

No comments:

Post a Comment