Saturday, March 26, 2011

On keeping the Lord's Day holy

Today I washed Peter's diapers, washed dishes for an hour (last night's dinner required many pots and pans!), put away clean clothes, did my lesson plan for Sunday school, worked at my paying job for three hours, and made a batch of oatmeal-raisin cookies for the party tomorrow. My husband put away his games and Peter's toys, vacuumed the first floor, cleaned the bathroom, took out the trash and recyclables, and helped friends pack their U-Haul to move.

Tomorrow is a day of rest.

Pope John Paul II wrote, on keeping the Lord's Day holy, "Sharing in the Eucharist is the heart of Sunday, but the duty to keep Sunday holy cannot be reduced to this. In fact, the Lord’s Day is lived well if it is marked from beginning to end by grateful and active remembrance of God’s saving work. This commits each of Christ’s disciples to shape the other moments of the day – those outside the liturgical context: family life, social relationship, moments of relaxation – in such a way that the peace and joy of the Risen Lord will emerge in the ordinary events of life."

We have decided, in our family, to keep Sunday holy by avoiding work in addition to attending Mass. While I was in school, I even avoided doing homework on Sunday. (Some very late Saturday nights, though!) For me, the work of Saturday has become blessed simply by being a preparation for Sunday. At the end of the day, I can look at what I have done, know that it is very good, and look forward to a true day of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment