Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A dream

"What is prejudice?" "Um, I think it's when somebody's sick." from Tom Clay's What the World Needs Now

My husband and I were talking tonight about racism and how to raise Peter in such a way that he will judge people not "by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." This seems so difficult to do in a country where non-European skin is associated with a culture of violence. People I know and otherwise would respect have flatly ordered their daughters not to date outside their race. Friends of mine growing up were shocked that I lived in the city, because my neighborhood was in good repair and had no violent crime. What do we do to help Peter value all people? I feel like this is a losing battle before it has even begun. And yet, I know that to be apathetic will guarantee failure.

Do you have cross-racial friendships?
Are you uncomfortable when outnumbered by those with a different skin tone?
Does it bother you to be around people speaking a language you do not understand?
Would you enjoy walking around downtown in your nearest metro area?
What "type of people" take public transportation?

See my point?

No comments:

Post a Comment