Thursday, February 10, 2011

Decisions, decisions

A co-worker of mine, who will have her first child around the end of May, is coming over tomorrow to visit and discuss cloth diapers and breastfeeding and other baby things. I'm excited. First of all, Cyndi is a great person and hopefully will become a good friend. Secondly, I enjoy hosting people at my home; hospitality is fun. Finally, I love talking about my husband's and my parenting choices, especially with like-minded people. Calling my decisions "choices" implies that there were options, which almost seems deceptive. Truthfully, I never gave much consideration to using disposable diapers or formula. I did a lot of research about which type of cloth diapers to buy, but disposables were never an option. They are costly and create a huge amount of trash for the landfills. Likewise, I completely dismissed the idea of using formula, aside from a lurking fear that something would go wrong and I would have to supplement my milk.


The first few days after Peter came home were miserable as far as nursing him. It HURT. I remember crying when he was about five days old because I knew he would wake up soon and want to eat and it hurt so much I didn't think I could feed him and he would be hungry. It is rather funny, looking back, that my conclusion was that he would be hungry rather than that I would switch to formula. For the record, that prompted me to schedule an appointment with the lactation consultant at our pediatrician that day. She was immensely helpful and Peter's and my nursing relationship improved drastically. Since then, I've weathered blisters, cracks, countless plugged ducts, and two bouts of mastitis. Still, I have never considered switching to formula or even pumping on a regular basis. The peace and joy of nursing him is too precious to lose.


Cloth diapers have been a much easier commitment. For the first month, we had a diaper service as a gift from my mom; those were prefolds with covers by Diaperaps and Bummis. Then we switched to pocket diapers by TinyTush, adjustable diapers that should last Peter until he is toilet trained. About a month ago, a friend at church gave us some all-in-twos by SoftBum, which we like, especially for night diapers. (We add hemp soakers at night.) I have evolved from considering cloth diapers to be the obvious choice into a full-fledged diaper enthusiast. We even travel with cloth diapers! I am amazed at how I continue to grow and change as I follow my vocation to motherhood.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad one of my friends is going through this now. Hopefully in the not too far future - if you don't mind - I can quiz you on all of this stuff when I have my own babies =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. I'm always willing to talk about baby stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete