Monday, January 31, 2011

Out for a walk

Peter did not sleep last night. At least, he did not sleep for more than an hour at a time and often woke within ten minutes of being calmed and set down. This is highly atypical, for which I am thankful. Also, my husband took him this morning so I could get more sleep, for which I am very thankful. Starting my day around noon left me a bit off kilter, so late afternoon I went for about a mile walk. This was partially for the exercise and mostly to have time by myself to think and just observe the world. A bird chirping. Violin music. Wood smoke. A car idling. The front of a mailbox visible in a snowbank six feet high, which had been dug out just enough to receive mail. Children shouting. A woman walking two dogs. A man chopping ice from the sidewalk with a shovel. I cannot create if I do not first experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment