Friday, January 28, 2011

All the world's a stage

My brother works at a small school of about 50 students. Every year, every student in grades six through twelve is required to participate in the school play as an actor. Last year, they performed a musical version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which was fantastic. This year, they will do Cabaret. I will miss the actual performance, but had the pleasure today of attending one of the rehearsals. They have room for improvement, but I am confident the final production will be excellent. This is particularly impressive when you realize each of these kids is somewhere on the Autism spectrum. Theater is an amazing teaching tool for these students. They learn how to appropriately express emotions, work together, and view a situation from another's perspective. Some of them have horrible stage fright. Very few have excellent voices. Yet, each year, their production is at least as good as a typical high school musical. These students are an inspiration, challenging me to go outside my comfort zone. Many goals are within my reach if I am willing to stretch a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment